Cardiff airport began when the Air Ministry selected a rural piece of land in 1941, to set up a training base for spitfire pilots and wartime satellite aerodrome.
In 1952 the airport reopened as a civilian airport after the falling into disuse after the Second World War, control of the Airport was transferred from the Ministry of Defence to Glamorgan County Council in 1965.
In 1986 an extension to the runway allowing the airport to handle 747 jumbo jets.
The airport is the village Rhoose, in the Vale of Glamorgan, 12 miles west of Cardiff city centre.
Facilities at Cardiff airport include an executive lounge and meeting rooms.
Call sign: CWL
Elevation: 220 ft
Runway distance available: 7848ft
Find private flight prices online for private jet charter to or from Cardiff with our private jet cost calculator.